Saturday, July 5, 2014

Here I am again...

My apologies for my long absence!

It's strange to me... how even with all the technology we have today, the time/space differences can change so many things; it's like I am on a whole other planet! Admittedly, mostly by my own doing, (as I am the one who has supplanted to another land, your lives still go on as before; I forget that, even in my physical absence, I am on your heart as you are often on mine) I get quickly sucked into local life here. This really is my home... and it is difficult for me to divide my loyalties. I love so many people in too many places. I hate the feeling like I'm turning my back on some in order to embrace others, but, unfortunately, that is a reality that I face. I must prioritize the people I am currently sharing life with... They are a major part of my purpose and mission. 

That being said, here I am again...
in a place of need/fear/confusion/desperation. I hate it... HATE it, that it seems I may never learn some lessons. I know I can't do anything of my own strength/resources/abilities, but I still try... and fail.... and fail again. UGH! So, in the spirit of accountability and bringing struggles/burdens to the light, I want to share a brief update on the major things.


-----

The definition of my entire life right now:
tran·si·tion  [tran-zish-uhn, -sish-]
noun
1. movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change: the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
2. Music.
a. a passing from one key to another; modulation.
b. a brief modulation; a modulation used in passing.
c. a sudden, unprepared modulation.

Between trying to build a home from almost-scratch, trying to get secure work/income, and trying to figure out visa/residency options, these major parts of my life are constantly changing and fluxing between "hurry up" and "wait." Both of which are incredibly difficult at times! You'd figure I'd be used to this by now... but I'm not always. I realize many of you have been in periods of this and can understand! 

HOME: 
We (my friend Bethany, who is here for part of her "sabbatical," and I) have a place to stay that's part of a home complex of one of the church members. It is a blessing... and at times a curse. It is very affordable and spacious, and having the family as neighbors is surely helpful! However, getting to the parts of the city we need/want to spend much of our time in is a time-consuming, sometimes expensive, frustration. Also, the house has some structural deficiencies that are harder to maneuver than initially expected. We have basically started from scratch, particularly in the Kitchen--We had NOTHING! We started out with only plastic plates/flatware and PB&J sandwiches. We have since been given a fridge, and bought a very cheap stove and toaster-oven, and finally did some serious grocery shopping. We still need a few kitchen basics, but those are coming together slowly but surely. We don't have closets, and I'm sleeping on an air-mattress which is sometimes an adventure in and of itself! :) We are thinking about finding a furnished apartment near the center of the city or closer to the touristy areas, but have to wait for the World Cup inflation to subside, before really making any decisions.

WORK: 
The initial onslaught of opportunities turned into many delayed meetings and a discouraging lack of follow-through. I feel like I've done what I can with my limited resources. In the job market here, I am quite dependent on networking connections. Some of these connections have proved very helpful, and some... just haven't yet. I am so thankful for the people who are volunteering to help as they can, but I also understand they are often busy with their own lives and I don't want to be a burden. (or nag!) It's difficult for me because I feel like I "need" a full-time advocate, but that's just not practical. My expectations and frustrations with this are because I want this done on MY time-table... and am obviously having trouble allowing for GOD'S timing for all this. He has provided all these opportunities so far, and the ones that will work out, will happen when HE designates.

"Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." - Psalms 27:14***

VISA:
I will go this week to ask for my visa extension, and expect that should go smoothly; however, that is only for my tourist visa. The research I've done for Work/Student visa's leaves me pretty apprehensive; it seems this may prove more difficult and costly than I initially expected. HUGE prayers are needed in this regard!

At the beginning of this year, I was inspired that my theme song for 2014 would be "Living by Faith," Well... I knew I'd be in for a ride, and at this half-way point, it couldn't be more true and necessary!

Thanks for sharing this ride with me!

***Note to any fellow Harding Academy Chorus circa 99-01 people: If you could read this verse WITHOUT singing it, shame on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts/reactions/advice!