Thursday, November 8, 2012

Origins


Fastly approaching midnight after 20 hours of travel, oppressed by the weight of the humidity, sitting in what should be the drivers’ seat, and smelling an intense fusion of body odor, cow patties, stale curry, sewage and ocean breeze, I was plunged into an unknown world. I was eleven years old and hadn’t seen much beyond Arkansas and Texas, but after listening to my mother’s journal from the year before, I had felt God’s call and expressed the desire to join her on a medical mission. So Mom took what I said to heart and allowed me join a team (of mostly strangers) the next year to serve others in Georgetown, Guyana, South America.

I fell in love with missions and eagerly joined the teams every summer after that for 8 years. That first taste of sharing His joy and love with others changed my life. Each respective year I stepped further outside my comfort zone and learned to see every face as a beloved Child of God; to look past circumstances and scars, reach through worldly barriers and begin to view their hearts as only He truly can.

The stage had now been set for my next life changing mission experience. I went on an LST trip to Rio in the summer of 05 and this time, I found myself in a culture that is doused in pleasure, riddled with fear, yet abounding in passion. I sensed the struggle between living fully and not wanting to carry the guilt and shame that often came along with that lifestyle. Even in this atmosphere, I felt that I was home, that I belonged and as if I was as close to Heaven on earth as I could be. (And, frankly, didn't want to come back to the States.) I made deep soul connections and was able to use many of my talents to grow new believers and encourage others in the congregation. I began to recognize the power of the Holy Spirit and how there is not a more peaceful yet exciting feeling than walking in Him daily.

So why would I NOT want to experience this every day? While I do not discount the fact that everywhere we go is a mission field, I sometimes get discouraged trying to relate to people here on the same level, when it comes much easier to me with those outside of my normal environment.

Every day for the past seven years, my heart has longed to return to these people and His work there. I feel that this internship opportunity will be an incredible learning and growing period for me and a chance to dedicate my time to furthering His Kingdom. I would one day like to be a long-term missionary, if God decides that is my path, and am excited that this can be a huge turning point in that journey. Will He keep me in Brazil or lead me somewhere else? I don’t know yet, but I am so grateful that He is allowing me this chance to fulfill this specific mission desire.

-Written Sept. 11 2012

I wrote this in response to the question "Why do I want to go to the mission field?" I figure this is one of the best things to post first!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful "story"! You are an exceptional writer & I look forward to reading your blog & hearing how God is working in other's lives through you. You are beautiful inside & out!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts/reactions/advice!